I’ve been thinking about Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden, and wondering what the world would be like if things had happened differently. I start with the simple premise –
No decision made by Adam or Eve in eating the forbidden fruit could have frustrated Gods plan.
So, here are the options:
1. Eve eats the fruit, then convinces Adam to eat it also.
2. Adam eats the fruit, then convinces Eve to eat it also.
3. Neither Adam or Eve eat the fruit.
4. Adam eats the fruit, Eve does not.
5. Eve eats the fruit, Adam does not.
Here are my thoughts:
1. We get the current world, where both Adam & Eve were punished by being cast out into the world, with the world being cursed to be more difficult for all. Eve can only come to God through Adam, who has the Priesthood.
2. Same, but Adam can only come to God through Eve, even if Adam has the Priesthood. The Priesthood cannot be used except in conjunction with women.
3. The ideal. Both Even and Adam are taught by God everything they need to learn about how to live, grow, and raise children in the world, then are given the Forbidden Fruit to start them on their mortal journey, where they are further taught as they have and raise children. Women and men in the world are completely together in all aspects of life, following God hand in hand.
4. Adam is taught in the garden, while Eve is taught and suffers in the world, until Adam is given the fruit and joins her. You end up with more spiritual men and a less oppresively Patriarichal relationship between men and women than in #1.
5. Eve is taught in the garden, while Adam is taught and suffers in the world, until Eve is given the fruit and joins him. I think we end up with a similarly unbalanced world as #4, though with a slightly oppresive Matriarichal relationship.
Anyway, those are my thoughts. We live in a world that is out of balance between men and women, but still very workable in that all may eventually return to God, if they so choose. With numberless worlds out there, there is a good chance that any of these other options have happened at their beginning, most of the time getting #3.
What are your thoughts? How would life be different today if something else had happened in the Garden of Eden? What will it be like to go to these other worlds and be the odd one out?